- In literacy we worked on a new text, L Is For Liberty. We talked about using story details and illustrations to help us better understand what we are reading. We worked on identifying main idea and supporting details. We also compared similar texts to help us understand the theme of freedom in the United States and how we make connections between texts.
- In writing we started sharing our book reviews! The children all worked so hard on their pieces. After they have their turn to share they are taking them home. We will continue to share this week and also begin working on some fun end of first grade writing.
- In math this week we worked with a very long number path! We built a path in sections throughout the week numbered 1-120 and played a fun game with partners where the winner reaches the end first. The children practiced adding double digits and writing double digit equations. We also had our Unit 7 assessment. We will begin working on an introduction to coins/money throughout the end of the year.
- In science we wrapped up light with mirror experiments. The children used mirrors to redirect light beams. This coming week and through the end we will be learning about animals, their basic needs, habitats and life cycles.
- In social studies we will be learning about Father's Day and working on a small project. We also had a social learning lesson on how to solve conflicts. We practiced how to be assertive when we are in a social situation and not getting along with someone.
- We had R- Read a lot day this week. We enjoyed several read alouds as well as partner reading. I enjoyed choosing my favorite read aloud books to share- I hope to fit more in in the days we have left!
- Monday morning we will go watch the 5th grade musical in the big gym. It is always a treat seeing what other grades have been working on!
- A representative from the Highland Park library will visit us this week to talk about the summer reading program. This is a great way to keep your child excited about reading throughout the summer and to keep up the reading skills they worked so hard to build throughout first grade!
- Thursday morning (6/6) is our field trip to the Heller Nature Center. We are going rain or shine, so please make sure your child has the appropriate gear that day. Hoping for sunshine!!
- Thank you to Mr. Singer, Annabelle's dad, our final mystery reader for the year! The children were very engaged in his book choice!
Wishing you all a fabulous week,